Friday, May 02, 2008

On this day - Falklands

in 1982, the British submarine HMS Conqueror sinks the Argentine cruiser General Belgrano outside the war zone and while sailing away from the islands. Almost 400 crewmen die.

That was it, any faint hopes that any of us had of had were gone and we could concentrate on the job at hand. There has been a notable increase in the number of people attending church services and prayer meeting, not that I did (I'm agnostic if you must know) but I did see the room filling up there are no atheists in a fox hole! There was also sadness at the needless loss of life, by that I mean the invasion led to it.

As an after comment - I was amazed when we got back to find that people thought there was no need to sink the Belgrano, it was out of the way and steaming away from the exclusion zone. Have these people never heard of ships turning round? Don't they realise that the planes on board don't have to fly in the direction the ship is pointing. If the Belgrano had been lost and go into our fleet it would have been carnage.

1 comment:

Mark Wadsworth said...

This Belgrano thing has been picked over a million times.

I defy all those who reckon it was unnecessary to say that they wouldn't have done exactly the same had they been on a British ship in the area at the time.

"I'm sorry chaps, but we are all going to die as a result of political correctness. Who wants a hug?"

I can't see it myself.