Friday, January 04, 2008

Wind power

I know its a bit old but I have been thinking about the latest plans to build 7,000 wind turbines as part of our plans to reduce CO2 and AGW.

Christopher Booker does a great job, as always, of pointing out a lot of the issues here, but the he misses a simple one - what if Global Warming means the wind doesn't blow?

Seriously, we hear all these wild predictions of what could happen as temperatures rise but as anyone considered what happens if the wind doesn't blow hard enough to generate the planned electricity? Or at the other end what happens if it blows too strongly when it does blow, they have to turn these things off then? Power cuts?

I'm not sure I like the idea of being at the mercy of the wind so perhaps Medway Council are right to build a coal fired power station?

What sort of idiots will trust long term electricity generation planning to something as fickle as the wind?

4 comments:

Mark Wadsworth said...

Medway Council have got it spot on, but unfortunately it is not up to them, it is up to the meddling bastards in Whitehall. Yes, there may be local opposition to the power station, the council has to bear that in mind and make a call, but why the heck is it anybody else's business?

Simon Fawthrop said...

Yup, this decision will get caught up in the AGW hysteria and probably get overturned by the brainwashed, hard of thinking

Mrs Smallprint said...

Build the reliable coal station - with the best technoloy built in. Forget about the dodgy expensive wind power.

OT Would you lick a link on my site?

Simon Fawthrop said...

Mrs SP,

I'm starting to lose my faith in nuclear because of the cost - even the nuclear industry accepts they need a skewed market through CO2 taxes to economic. I suppose the only reason to go with it is diversity of supply.

I link would be appreciated, I have reciprocated