Wednesday, March 12, 2008

On this day

in 1935, Britain imposed a 30 mph speed limit in built up areas.

Despite the improvements in brake systems and passenger impact zones, I am becoming more convinced by the argument that in built up areas 30mph is too fast and we should consider 25 and even 20mph. I would be prepared to make these variable, say 20mph near schools and playgrounds during the day and back to 30, or even 40, during quiet times.

At the other end of the scale it is time to raise the motorway speed limit to 85 or even 90. Again this could be a variable limit. Back to 70 or even 60 in bad weather but even faster in quiet times. (I say this even though I rarely drive above 68mph but when I do I want to be able to get moving)

Whilst on the theme, I would do away with the majority of speed cameras and bring back more traffic police. Too many people just do as they please and only slow down when they see cameras. We also need to sort out those who drive on pavements, jump red lights and weave in and out of traffic and the only way to do this is unmarked cars.

No comments: