Wednesday, June 18, 2008

The things we regret

There is a saying that at the end of your life you only regret the things you didn't do. Well there is one thing I did as an 18 year old that I suspect will regret to my dying day. Whats more, I am reminded it at just about every turn of a current affairs story, blog or page in the dead tree press.

Yes folks, in 1975 I voted yes. It was was my first election and I was seduced because all the great and the good were pushing the yes vote:

During the campaign, virtually all the mainstream national British press supported the "Yes" campaign. The communist Morning Star was the only notable national daily to back the "No" campaign.

The only notable person against was Tony Benn and even then I thought he was an odd ball. (I have grown a grudging admiration for his principled positions over the years, even though I think he's on the barmy end of wrong with most of them, but thats a different story.)

As we were going on exercise I even got to vote a week early, brilliant, it made me so proud.

Today my remindr of that mistake come from Trixy, via Tim Worstall:
I have, once again, been thrown out of the hemicycle because I am a girl who is not pro the EU.

I had the pass to get in there, I was sitting quietly at my seat, camera in a bag when a Huissier came across and told me to get out. He put his hand over my lense and told me I wasn't allowed in the chamber. I ignored him because I don't like to be bullied by fascists. He carried on trying to tell me that I was not allowed in there and then tried to break my camera. I was filming him saying this. Then he grabbed me and made me move. As I walked off I told him that this was supposed to be a democracy.

He tried to stop me going to the MEPs who had asked me to be in there and forcibly tried to stop me. I pushed past him and gave my camera to Nigel Farage. He then stood on my pashmina to stop me going anywhere, but I tugged it from under he cheap, plastic unpolished shoes. As he frogmarched me out, he stole the badge which belongs to the group. I asked him one again, how is this a democracy. He said it is, which is why I can throw you out. To which I replied, Dictatorship might start with a D but that's where the similarity ends. Then I asked for the bully's name. He asked what mine was, so I told him. He then refused to tell me his. His colleague came along and said, you don't have a hemicycle badge so you have to get out. I asked for the badge back, but they denied knowing anything about it.

So I have been listening to the speeches made on the computer in my office. I am, not surprised by what they said, they are EU nationalists who will stop at nothing. Some of them even had the audacity to say that one of our Irish MEPs did not represent the people of Ireland because she campaigned on the NO side.

Now, can anyone tell me why Labour, the Lib Dems, the Tories and the Greens want to be part of this organisation? An organisation which bends its own rules, which states that the voice of the few people who were allowed a referendum should be ignored?

This is the third time in four years I have been bullied and pushed around by Parliament security, who are authorised to do so by the President of the Parliament.

No, we can't just ignore them as we have been ignored. We have to leave the EU. You can't reform it, it doesn't want to be reformed. Did Stalinist Russia want to be reformed? No.

Wake up.



To make matters worse, The Great Wiseone voted against and necer tires of letting me know whenever a story of EU stupidty, intrusion of near fascist decision is reported by the MSM.

No comments: