Friday, February 01, 2008

I have little sympathy for either of these

A motorist who was texting on her mobile phone whilst speeding in a built up area killed a cyclist and has been told by the judge she faces a custodial sentence. I have very little sympathy and I hope the judge makes an example of her as much as a deterrence as a punishment.

The fact that the cyclist went through a red light may reduce her sentence shouldn't exonerate her.

As for him, it is no use cyclists claiming that it wouldn't happen if motorists paid attention and obeyed the law, jumping red lights at anytime is a really stupid thing to do and is inexcusable. the reason I have little sympathy is because I, along with most drivers, dread killing anyone even though its not our fault. I don't think I could live with myself if I killed a cyclist, no matter what the circumstances.

I would like to think this will deter other cyclists from idiocy, but I doubt it.

No comments: