Tuesday, September 02, 2008

Lunatics in cars

This morning on my daily commute down the M40 at 6am the conditions were atrocious with rain, spray and standing water making driving particularly hazardous. Now I'm no shrinking violet when it comes to speeding on motorways and have been known to get my foot down a bit - on one occasion on a clear summer Sunday morning, I made it from Stokenchurch to Berwick on Tweed at an average speed over 85mph.

Today wasn't one of those times and with discretion being the better part of valour I found myself chugging along at 60ish in lane 1. What surprised me was the number of cars in lane 3 doing well in excess of 80mph, some I would put nearer 100mph, but it wasn't just the speed, they were obviously aware that conditions were bad because a large proportion had their rear fog lights on!

Anyone who has followed a car with its fog lights on in the rain will know how tiring it is and that it is more likely to lead to accidents than not having them on, so what were these morons up to?

If you are one of those people who do it can you please explain you logic in the comments section because until then I will treat you all as lunatics and morons who should be locked up.

No comments: